Hush-Hush Handspun Hootenanny
1. How long have you been spinning? What skill level do you consider yourself?
I learned to spin in May ’07- I’d probably say I’m intermediate level
2. What kinds of yarn do you create (singles/2-ply/3-ply/art yarn)?
I’ve only done 2-ply so far. I over twist too much for singles, don’t have the patience for 3-ply and don’t really care for art yarn.
3. What do you spin with (spindle/wheel/both)?
4. What are your favorite fibers to spin with? Anything you don’t like?
I really like Superwash merino and merino/tencel. I don’t know that I dislike any one fiber, but I don’t really like anything “tough”. And as hard as I try, I just can’t enjoy BFl. Blasphemy I know. Maybe the BFL I’ve used isn’t the “good stuff”, seeing as though it was all from one designer.
5. Who are your favorite crack dealers fiber sources (etsy or otherwise)?
Well there are loads but my top two favorites are Funky Carolina and Pigeonroof Studios. I have a huge rubber maid tote filled with rovings from just these two Allspunup is another good one. Ummm…There’s more but I can’t think of them at the moment.
6. What kind of fiber do you want to try?
There’s this roving from Creatively Dyed or something like that and it has seacell in it. I am dieing to try it.
7. Is there any techniques you would like to learn?
Navajo ply maybe. I sort of know how to do it, I just haven’t sat down and actually tried.
8. Do you dye fiber? If not, would you like to learn?
I haven’t done any dyeing but I have a drawer full of Easter egg dyes and kool aid packets with no use. I bought them with the intention to try it but I have no idea where to start.
9. Do you have fiber prep tools (and like to use them) or would you prefer ready to spin fiber?
I’m a ready to spin gal
10. What do you do with your handspun? What projects have you completed?
Ummm…Am I supposed to use it? I made a sweater with my handspun and I’m working on a scarf now. Hopefully, socks soon (I have some spun for this already. I’m just scared to use it.)
11. Are you in need of any spinning gadgets (WPI Gauge, threading hook, etc)?
I am a gadget freak so I have a lot already. I am trying to find a small bag to hang on the knob to put my oil pen, spinner’s control card, etc. in.
12. What colors “fall into your shopping basket”? Any colors you just can’t stand?
Almost anything works With spinning, the roving never looks the same when spun up, so I try to let myself go when picking colors. That said, I’m not much on neon or super dark.
13. What is on your wheel/spindle right now?
A superwash merino/nylon/cashmere blend from Zeroknits. It’s a “mixed tape bag”, scrappies in various colors.
14. What other crafts/hobbies do you have?
Oh geez— Knitting, Crocheting, Sewing, Paper Cutting, Origami. And believe it or not, I actually have my own coloring book/crayon/marker stash
15. Other than crafts, what are you passionate about?
Honestly, crafting is my passion. And my Kids
16. Do you have an online wishlist?
Sort of- nothing to share right now though
17. Is there anything that you collect?
Sheep and Lip gloss/lip balm
18. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What magazine subscriptions do you have?
I don’t have any subscriptions although I keep saying I’m going to subscribe to Spin Off. I want all yarn
19. When is your birthday?
20. What book or movie character do you most resemble in personality?
Umm….that’s really hard. Name a character that’s slightly neurotic, unhappy stay at home married Mom who’s gained weight, with no friends. That’s me.
21. What is the climate like where you live around this time (need to know for careful shipments of anything meltable)? Hot. Hot. Hot. Oh…and humid.
22. Tell us one weird fact about yourself!
Just one? I’m obsessed with keeping numbers even. If I eat Twizzlers, I have to eat and even number. The volume on t.v. has to be set at an even number. And so on…
Candy: ahem–just in case I get someone in Germany, hint hint, I *love* German candy. I lived there for 10 yrs as a kid, and I miss the goodies. Most importantly, Kinder Chocolate Other than that, Chocolate. I have a majoy sweet tooth. I have three different spots where I keep my candy stash, there’s that much.
Food: Chinese food and Cheesecake
Drink: Pepsi or Sangria
Movie(s): Stardust, How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, Jewels by Danielle Steele, Sweet Home Alabama- The Bourne Series, The Ref
TV Show(s): Alias, Grey’s Anatomy
Book(s): Twilight Book Series. I rarely read a book twice, and these are the only books I’ve read more than once- Anything by Dean Koontz (his newer stuff sucks, but the older ones are classic)
Guilty Pleasure(s): Shopping. I’m a proud member of Shopaholics Anonymous:)